Mini-tour in & around Chicago














I had planned last week to visit the downtown of Chicago. I need to catch the 9:00 am local train which goes to the Chicago Union station. So, I need to get a cab around 8:40 am to reach the station. But as usual got up late & in full tension rushed to station at 9:10 am. The tension is because only for each hour there is a train. But luckily the train came at 9:15 am only. So, just sat back & started enjoying my journey. One thing I liked in the local train is for every station, there is a voice indicating the station nearing by & also the next station. So it's unlike as in our Chennai trains, where each passenger has to peep in & out or ask the other passengers what's the next station & get ready. Also the neatness does matter. Reached the Union station in an hour. I just wanted to get out & immediately see the place. The station where local trains arrive is like our Chennai Airport. Oh my goodness, there is a mini spencer plaza inside. Everywhere fastfood centers, shopping malls.

I came out of the station & just got surprised. Is the height of the sky is lower in this place or the buildings are reaching the sky? I can see many buildings just piercing the clouds & wants to look into the sky to know whats happening inside. Yes, the buildings in the place rocks. I went mad & started walking towards my unknown destination. Just wondered everything. In tamil they say like pattikattan patanatha pakara madhiri! I just roamed the city till my legs were tired. I saw the lake with few boats. Immediately enquired near by & got the reply that they are boat rides for touring the city. Felt like going & searched for the booking center. But I need to wait for an hour for the next ride. So I planned to go to lunch in the available time. I searched for Pizza hut, so that I can get some veg. stuff. But finally ended at the Subway. Had a foot long of veg. patty. Its not bad but it was also not good. Just to fill the stomach & for a change you can eat it.

Then, I was back to the boating place, but luck wasn't in my side. Heavy showers started & I ran for a shelter. Decided to sit inside the boat & not the open upper side. I was already half drenched, when I boarded the boat. They had some covers to wear, so that people can sit in the open space & enjoy their ride amidst the showers. Jumped in to grab one & put it on me. It was like the nature is welcoming me to the place with its showers. I truely enjoyed the ride. Inch by Inch, I was watching the tour with wide open eyes. I was amazed & surprsied to see some of the buildings. Seriously, I got slight neck pain after seeing those tall buildings.

The boat ride ended up & again I started roaming the place. But couldn't walk much after sometime. I was tired & also I was totally drenched. So, wanted to get back. It was already 4:30 pm & so, started walking towards the station. But the train scheduled to my place was at 5:35 pm. So got inside the Mc Donalds fast food to get refreshed. I was surprised to see people who are like some sumo wrestlers & still getting super size pack of french fires & all kinds of fat stuffed food. I was thinking they are going to burst one day soon. Got my train & came back with full satisfaction. It was really a nice trip that I enjoyed in the sands of United States of America.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Narsidude's Chicago edition -Simply Superb.

Lakshminarasimhan.V said...

Hi Manithan,

Thanks for your note.

Anonymous said...

appidi podu. appiey poi navy pierla irukara IMAX theatrela padam paaru !!

Lakshminarasimhan.V said...

Hi Lazy,

Thanks for the note. Sure, will go to Navy Pier soon...

Anonymous said...

Nice one Narsi... Guess, the long weekend takes you to many places.... Heard that the Sceince Museum is good. Don't miss it!

Lakshminarasimhan.V said...

Ya sure Ramesh, will go the science museum.