Chicago Times

Yesterday, I went to some part of India & came back in couple of hours. Hey, surprised!! I went to Devon Street in Chicago. It can be called as Asian market place. I was able to see lot of Indian, Pakistan & some European shops. My friends have said before several times when I was here, that Devon Street is like our Indian market place. I felt like it’s almost like our T.Nagar shopping area but bit mixed up with other markets & less crowded.

Hooooo.. Just roamed in those streets & entered into most of the shops & did the so called Window shopping. I was enjoying myself, the pirated version of Indian market inch by inch. I was able to pick lots of emundi bagunara, oye kesa hai & some ennanga nalla irukeengala. After tiresome roaming, went into an Indian chat corner. Had nice bhels & samosa. Enjoyed the Indian chats after a break.

I wanted to drink water, but there wasn't a cup around. So just called a person & asked him for water cup. He just showed me the way again to the water area. I said cup…cup loudly again. But he showed me the same way again. I thought he doesn’t understand my language. So I showed him all Mundram perai acting to get a cup. Finally, he came along & showed me a hollow steel kind of pipe holding cups & fixed to the wall. I was bit embarrassed & cursed myself for my ignorance. With guilt feeling took the cup to drink.

It was time to leave, so started moving towards the parking lot. I was able to see some people begging for $. I haven't seen any one as such till now. Something itched me inside my mind, when I was leaving the place.

(P.S. :- Oruthar nala ennakulla irukum thamizh kalainyan alert agitu varaan. Amam soliputten!!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Narasi,

I am new to US and i have seen in no where water dispensers like in India...i dont know why these ppl r not having that concept...onnum piriyala ba..even in Microsoft office too..:))

In most of places i have seen water fountain only...when i saw that i remembered namma ooru - "Addi pump le makkal kai vechi water kudikara mathiri thonnum"..

regards--raj

Anonymous said...

hey dude, whos that oruthar who's alerting the thamizh kalignan in you ? sujatha :)

Lakshminarasimhan.V said...

Hi LG,

No he is not shujata, He is one of my close friend. Ana yarunu ketta suspense :-)